Author   Comment  
fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #1 

Hey guys, collision repair painter from Okotoks. Also do side projects on the side. Never really been much of a forum person but im going to try and blog the majority of the journey through the autobody trade on here, not all will be jap but im sure most of them will. Of my own, ive had ...1991 180SX, 91 Cressida, 1998 Cherokee, 1990 Skyline GTS-T, 1970 510 Coupe, 1991 Chaser, 1993 RX-7. Currently still own the 180SX and FD. 

It all starts with my 180sx. Came over through JDM tuners back in '08 but a local had bought it before i had the money or was even old enough to drive haha 

A year or two later it popped up on kijiji with no kit, brakes, or tires so i picked it up.

Threw a kit on it and paid top dollar to have the kit painted. FML.

Drove it like this for 2 years before i got into autobody. By that time, the car had gotten pretty beat up from pretending i was a crazy street drifter

About a year later i had enough time to begin apprenticing at FixAuto, (formerly Bodytech Collision.) About 6 months in i got to take on my first complete which was my S13. Bought a Version Select type x kit from autodream, type x wing from dallas, and some super cool rotas. 1.5 coats of Midnight Purple (LP2) Over Dupont's 3404 high build primer. Cleared with Bernardo/Car system's production grade clear. 

fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #2 

About 6 months after words i did my first complete for a customer. That being for Adam from ******* His S14 was pretty much straight forward. Painted it Nissan's Malbec Black which is very similar to Midnight purple, just a bit darker. This time using Bernardo/Car system's high build primer instead of dupont (absolute shit) but again using Bernardo/Car system clear. 

fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #3 

After that, i continued on to do a 60s mustang through the shop. Dont seem to have many pictures of this one either but it is by far the most in depth complete i have been part of. This one i only did prep, all the priming, blocking, masking, cleaning and other bitch work. 

PFIS300

OG Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Fuck ya, glad to have you on here. I look forward to seeing more work, I remember Cody's car looking stunning. One of my fav Colors ever.

fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks man! Yeah cody's was a cool color, thinking of doing my FD that color.
poorform

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 
Hey Nick, feel free to post your projects and projects that you help out with... post from a personal standpoint and not a business... please, thanks

also mention of statusone or cody is not cool. they are not friends of the local drift community. lets just leave it at that.
fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #7 
Sorry for the misunderstanding, just going to post all my work in here instead of making a thread for each individual car i do. No business promotion is intended. 
fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #8 

Anyways, moving on. After being in autobody for nearly a year and still making $12/h i decided to call it quits and living in Alberta of course i decided to go rigging. So, i took my beater car at the time, the Cressida, way out into buttfuck nowhere. 

One of these things is not like the other...

2 Months into rigging i bought my sweet brojeep. 

Something i forgot to mention. On my first drive out to the rig in Shaunavon area, I was clocked doing 160 in the Cressida LOL. Ok, paid my ticket, whatever. 2 months later i get a letter in the mail, your licence has been suspended. FUCK. At this point i pussied out of rigging anymore and went home like a mark. To kill my suspension i decided to run off to brazil haha. Lived with a friend before coming home. The moment i got home i ditched the jeep and the cressida, and picked up the skyline. 
Came with awesome trendy green wheels so i sprayed em white and rocked the car like this till the spring.

The day after i got home from brazil i went down to the shop to see about getting my job back. At that point, they had gone through a few painters and didnt really have one at the moment. So i got thrown in as painter 

Springtime came and i got bored so i decided to paint the skyline brown, why not. 

"

Thats all for tonight, might continue tomorrow.

JZS161

OG Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Good to have you on here Nick!
fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #10 

At the same time, i was also working 70hr weeks. On top of that, putting together Errol's S2k while sorting out my own vehicles.

After the datsun was shipped and payment was received, i snagged myself a Chaser which i actually loved but not for long. 

Stop staring at my girlfriend. About 2 months into owning the chaser i blew it the fuck up. Map sensor had come off, due to being glued together in the first place,  during a little top speed run inbetween Calgary and Okotoks. At this time i had been planning a 1jz build with my S13 which was already gutted in the garage. Didnt have enough time to finish the 1jz s13, the S2000 and the chaser so i just put the 1j from the s13 into the chaser. All ran well until the turbo, GT35R blew the fuck up. Let me make this clear, i'm not a mechanic. Not really a fan of doing mechanical what so ever so at this point i focused on getting Errol's car finished and let the chaser sit. 

Big up to Errol for letting me have his car as long as i did and not losing his cool on me haha. His S2 came in stock bodied. About 3.5 inches were cut out of the quarter panels to accomodate for wide wheels. All in all i think i spend upwards of 300hr on this over a span of about 6 months. Those 300hr are entirely weekends and after hours, i only work on shop work during the day. His car got 1.5 coats of Honda's Sebring silver/Jet black 2 tone + 2 coats of Dupont clear. 

Back to the chaser. Had it rebuilt at alamo, threw it back in then more issues. An insane amount of issues, mostly electrical and sensor related. Grew frustrated with it after it sat in my garage for 2 months so i traded in the condition it was in it for this bone stock FD. 

Dont have too many plans for this thing. Wheels and paint then i'll probably end up selling it so i can finish the S13 finally. 

Somewhere inbetween the FD and JZX Jimmy dropped off my current side project, Steph's GS300. 

Just getting a basic pearl white respray/fitting the meisters in the pic. 

But anyways, that brings us up to date! Look forward to posting more updates here will try and take some pictures more often. Cheers. 

fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #11 

Little update, Steph's gs is painted. all i have left is to finish smoothing out the fenders and spray them. this car will get getting a full wetsand and polish so i think i might do a little how-to on wetsand and polishing. Came out pretty nice, color really pops in the sun, flash doesnt do it any justice. 

Something i love about fresh paint strangely enough is the fresh door handles. GIRLS : cut your nails if you value yours and your mans door handles. 

This is what happens when windsheilds are improperly removed and installed. Scratches from removal begin to rust and take over the whole pillar underneath the windsheild. From here, it was sandblasted, etch primed, primed, sealed and then painted to do our best to prevent it from rusting again. Rust almost always comes back unless the panel is replaced. Could be in 10 years, could be in 10 months. No real way of knowing, it really is the 'cancer' of autobody. 

fun80sx

N00b
Reply with quote  #12 

Little update on the FD as well, been dreaming of colors to paint it. Leaning towards a teal color or possibly keeping it black, not sure yet. 

GM's Crystal lake metallic. Possibly something a little lighter, not sure yet. 

Or a '93 civic color. Cant remember what its called but it looks good on this S2.

Color ideas would be appreciated! Got 99 spec turn signals and some FEED rep gear to go on it. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!