Author   Comment  
Ptchblk

N00b
Reply with quote  #1 
Thought I would add to the domestic build of my black truck for you guys and go through a few different stages of the truck. A quick little run down on the truck, I bought it brand new back in May 07 and had it lowered within 2 weeks on the new wheels. It stayed static dropped until the winter of 08/09 where it got put on air ride. Every year something seems to change on it slowly.

This was a few days after I picked the truck up and already pulled the badges off

2 weeks later lowered 3/6 on 24s looking back I wish it would have been lower then that

Gotta have a little fun with the truck as well

The start of 08 didn't start off that well for the truck 2 days before going to the body shop to get the tailgate shaved, roll pan added and the front end color matched this happened.....

Before the body shop we swapped the front bumper in the shop

Into the body shop

and what looking like

So that was the first 1 1/2 for the truck the winter is when the fun began.

Ptchblk

N00b
Reply with quote  #2 
So in the winter of 08/09 with the help of local Dropsicle members I started my air ride install.

I started on the front so all the front sheetmetal had to come off to make it easier to work on. Then all the front suspension had to disappear.

Next to go was the strut bracket and upper control arm mounts to make room for the Ekstensive Metalworks front end bracket

with the new bracket in place and welded on I reassembled the front suspension. The only stock piece of suspension in the entire truck is the upper control arm, the spindle is somewhat stock just had to be modified to accept the ball joint from the bottom and the tie rod end hole being drilled out to 3/4" for the heim joint end.

Here is a better photo of the suspension parts fresh back from the powder coating shop.

With the front end back on the ground it was time to start working out back so we had to move the truck to give some space in the garage.

Starting on the back with some help from a club member out go the rear leaf springs. the biggest issue with the rear end on the truck was that the front hangers are now welded onto the frame not riveted like the older trucks so I had to cut it off and take measurements to position the axle properly.

With the 6 link all in position it was time to put the notch in to clear the rear axle and lay the truck out fully for the first time. Nothing like cutting the frame up on a 1 1/2 old truck!!

With the truck on the ground flat it was time for some fine tuning of the front end to get everything set up properly. With the Ekstensive Metalworks front end there is very limited amount of negative camber allowing me to run the truck inches off the ground with no major tire wear!!

After that it was time to cut all the inner fenders and bed to clear the tires so it would be laid out.
Before cutting driver side

After cutting passenger side

and the bed with a rough cut done to get the bed on to I could trim fully

First time the truck was laid out
Ptchblk

N00b
Reply with quote  #3 
Truck went to its first show on air but it wasn't finished at that point so it went on the trailer

I needed to build a quick holder for my air gauge so this has worked well to date

That was what was done in the 09 winter the inner fenders I built for the truck were not that pretty it was a learning curve for me they have since been redone.
levie

OG Member
Reply with quote  #4 
nice man. This is a nice platform to do a mini truck on.

Toyota Soarer
dkjzz30

OG Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Full size trucks are great when they are on the ground. I plan to dump one for a daily/work turck.
Ptchblk

N00b
Reply with quote  #6 
Finally found my update photos from 2010-2012

Early in 2010 the truck popped up in Truckin' Magazine in the busted knuckles section

I pulled the truck out of storage a little early in 2010 as well

Here is where the updates started tho.
Pulled all the interior pieces out and got them painted body colour to get rid of the flat black and silver inside.

To this:

Redid some paint work on the front end as well in the early part of the year and build some filler pieces on the front fenders.

Ptchblk

N00b
Reply with quote  #7 
After the show season in 2010 I removed the headliner, pillars and visors and wrapped them in suede and dyed all the plastic black.

Over the winter of 2011 the engine was stripped down a little bit and had some pieces powdercoated along with the brakes all in the green color.

Here is just a rolling shot from probably back in 09 because the exs truck was still on the road after we did a full interior swap in her F150
Ptchblk

N00b
Reply with quote  #8 

Early 2012 I got rid of the BOSS 313 wheels and upgraded to Gianelle Steep-6 wheels which completely changed the look of the truck.

Here are just a few photos from a Calender shoot that was done back in early 09. I don't think you guys will complain.

Mr.Bumpie

N00b
Reply with quote  #9 
Love the truck man. I was thinking of doing the same to mine but the only problem is money right now so any and all mods are gonna have to wait
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!